So I've had this debate with a couple of people over the last week, and now I want your response. Which is better, mixed martial arts or boxing?
I think MMA is much more exciting to watch and think boxing is 10 -20 years past its prime. Here are the advantages for MMA
- 3, five-minute rounds. Except for championship matches all fights are 3 rounds. Not 12 long slow rounds like boxing
- Promotes of free tv. But showcasing good young talent on Spike, they have been able to bring name recognition to their fighters from people besides those that fight on PPV
- less dancing. Boxers prance. MMA fighters are always punching, kicking, elbowing, kneeing or working on a submission hold to end a match quickly. Boxers prance for 12 boring rounds.
- White guys. White guys are actually good in MMA. Forrest Griffin, Chuck Liddell, Randy Coutore, Georgre St. Pierre, Matt Hughes are all world champions and white. That never happens in boxing.
- Great fighters actually fight each other. Because the majority of world class fighters are with UFC, you always get the best fighting each other, and there is only 1 recognized world champion as opposed to 3 or 4 in boxing. The last big name fight in boxing was Mayweather - De La Hoya, and they were too old and only fought because they got paid $20 million each.
So since no one else can make a post, at least reply to this one with your thoughts. MMA - 1 Boxing - 0