Tuesday, November 27, 2007

An Epic Challenge

Many have tried and almost all have failed. A challenge such as this is not to be taken on a whim, it takes great physical and mental preparation. I was lucky enough to be the witness of such an attempt at history, and here is my recap:

1. The Challenge
The participant must ingest one dozen Boston Cream Donuts from Dunkin Donuts within one hour, then must keep them down for 15 minutes after the final donut is eaten.

2. The Player


Josh (A.K.A "Powder"): 6'2" - 245 pounds of eating efficacy.

3. The Back Story
All great challenges begin in a barroom boast, and this one was no different. Over a couple beers at Andy's bar in Albany, Powder glanced out the window at the Dunkin Donuts across the street. The dream entered his mind right then.
"I could eat a dozen donuts." is what he said.
I was skeptical. "What about Boston Creme donuts?" I ask, "They are pretty damn heavy."
"I could eat a dozen Boston Cream Donuts easily."
And so the challenge was born. Preparation was needed. After 4 shots of Southern Comfort and a couple wings we were ready to begin.

4. The Result
We began the test of will at 11PM at the Albany apartment belonging to my good friend Bennett. Tensions were high as the test begun. I had riding on it a days worth of free meals and Powder, his pride. The first half dozen were quickly ingested within the first 15 minutes, but the rate quickly slowed. A half hour went by and 8 were residing in the stomach of this behemoth of gluttony. Two more were gone in the next fifteen minutes. Two donuts left, and just 15 minutes to eat them.
Just two donuts, but every bite was met with a grimace of pain. I wish I could tell you all I had witnessed a historic feat on Saturday night. I wish I could tell you that. But unfortunately, all I beheld was a man eat 10 and a half donuts in an hour. But, alas, the occasional failure is something we must all experience. As Teddy Roosevelt once said:

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

I challenge you all to dare to dream your impossible dreams and never fear failure when trying to make them reality.

No comments:

Subscribe!!!!