Monday, July 30, 2007

The death of cinema

One of the greatest filmmakers died today. Ingmar Bergman lived a long life and died at 89 years old. I'll probably add onto this post with a mini tribute when I get home tonight, but for now IMDB does a good job of summing up his career:
http://www.imdb.com/news/flash/2007-07-30/flash/1

Update 1:
I thought this interview, with Dick Cavett, was pretty good at summing up Ingmar Bergman's approach to film making:






Update 2:
I also want to post one of my favorite scenes from one of my favorite movies. This is a dream sequence of the main character, Professor Borg, in the movie Wild Strawberries. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend watching the entire film.




Update 3:
Here is a great article by Roger Ebert: link

2 comments:

Scholander said...

Is it bad that I have never seen an Ingmar Bergman film?

kevthegreat said...

No, it's not bad. If not for Netflix, I never would have either. Finding a classic foreign film in a video store is impossible. But you should pick up Seventh Seal if you ever see it around. I think you'd really like it, and then you'd be hooked. That's the first one I've seen.

Subscribe!!!!