Saturday, July 7, 2007

I can't stop!!!!!

Why do I do this to myself? I went over to Michael Bay's news blog and started reading. On it they have this interview of The Bay with Entertainment Weekly. It really isn't anything you wouldn't expect, but there are a couple choice quotes I thought I'd post here. First, he's talking about making all of the Autobots turn into GM vehicles:

I've had a relationship with GM, so they took me to where they do these cool concept cars. I saw this picture of that Camaro [used in the film], and I'm like, That's the car. It saved me $3 million on my budget, getting all those cars. I don't think you are whoring out the movie, because I think each car kind of fits the character. Maybe not Jazz [the Autobot that's a Pontiac Solstice in the film]. Jazz is the one thing which I was like, ehhh, I wish he was a different car, personally. It's too little. But that's why I did it. It saved me money.

I would say the definition of whoring out a movie is to change rather major things to gain money from corporate sponsors, but what do I know? Then there is this quote about his next movie:

Pain and Gain. It's a true story, happened in Florida. Just love the characters. It's these guys who work at a gym, and nothing's good enough. They're all looking for the American Dream, and they end up kidnapping. It's like a mixture of Fargo and Pulp Fiction, but it's all true.

You know a director has no originality and creativity when he himself describes his movies by comparing it to other, better movies. But, you know, after reading something like this, I'm actually less pissed at The Bay. He's not purposely manipulating the public by creating dumbed down, lame, unoriginal films that only build on the sucess of previous films he's copying. He really is just a no talent hack. And you know what? He isn't a bad director, in that he is able to direct the making of these god awful films. There is something to be said for being able to make a huge budget film without going way over budget and in a acceptable amount of time. The guy must have great organizational skills. He should just never write a script, ever, or be allowed to make any creative changes to anything. He is not a creative person. He's most definitely not an artist, he's a manager. That is my current view of The Bay.

2 comments:

phishbone23 said...

Saw the movie today....great effects, good story, couple historical inaccuracies (if you can even designate a cartoon as historical). Overall, I give it a B+, on par with the newest Bond film. They both left me with the same feeling.....I'm way too old school and need to get out of the rut I'm in.

kevthegreat said...

I figure I've bitched so much about it, I probably should go see it. Nah, fuck it, it'll just seriously piss me off even more.

Subscribe!!!!